Thursday, May 20, 2010

here is the post that gave me the red ass.


you be the judge.


Fox Sports' Ed Goren, Chris Myers apologize to New Orleans mayor for 'offensive' comments

By Michelle Krupa, The Times-Picayune

May 20, 2010, 6:13PM

Fox Sports President Ed Goren and commentator Chris Myers apologized today to New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu for Myers' recent on-air comments disparaging the city's response to Hurricane Katrina, spokesmen for the mayor and the cable network said.

myers.jpgFox Sports commentator Chris Myers hosts the NFC trophy presentation on Jan. 24 in the Superdome.The apologies came after Landrieu sent a letter to the network's president demanding an apology for remarks Myers made Wednesday on The Dan Patrick Show.

Landrieu spokesman Ryan Berni said Goren and Myers called the mayor today to express their regrets, adding that Landrieu was satisfied with their sentiments.

According to Dan Bell, Fox Sportsvice president for communications, Myers also faxed the following letter:

Dear Mayor Landrieu,

Thank you for speaking with me earlier today.

I would very much like to apologize to you and the people of New Orleans for the inappropriate and insensitive remarks I made this past Monday. Clearly, these remarks demonstrated poor judgment and I sincerely regret making them.

I spent six great years living and working in New Orleans. It will always be a special place to me and my family, and I certainly would never want to offend the people of this terrific city.

I wish you and every citizen of New Orleans nothing but my very best and I hope the entire city can forgive me and accept my deepest apology.

Sincerely,
Chris Myers

Myers worked as a sports anchor at WWL-TV for six years in the 1980s. He created "Fourth Down on 4," still a Sunday night mainstay for the station, and married a New Orleans native before leaving for a job with ESPN.

According to the website Media Matters for America, Myers on Wednesday compared the response to the catastrophic flooding that followed Katrina with recent floods across Middle and West Tennessee that killed 20 people, ruined 11,000 homes and caused nearly $2 billion in damage.

"It's a great country here," he said. "We have disasters issues when people pull together and help themselves and I thought the people in Tennessee, unlike -- I'm not going to name names -- when a natural disaster hits people weren't standing on a rooftop trying to blame the government, OK. They helped each other out through this."

No comments:

Post a Comment